Firmware update 4.0 for Nikon Z 9 opens up great new features
Get greater detail in videos, nail critical shots with Auto Capture and even more personalisation options with the latest firmware release
Let’s start with Auto Capture, a new remote triggering option where you can set your criteria for what you want to capture, walk away and let the Nikon Z 9 do the rest. You can set up the camera to shoot or record when it detects motion, a particular type of subject (person, animal or vehicle) or when a subject is in a designated distance from the camera. You can use, one, two or all three at once. Brilliant when you’re on your own shooting with multiple bodies from multiple angles and perfect for sports and wildlife shooters, Auto Capture frees up your creativity and means you’ll never miss the shot you need. Take a look at the video below to see Auto Capture in action.
How to use autocapture
Lo 2.0 setting for N-LOG
Another feature with firmware 4.0 is a new Lo 2.0 setting for N-LOG (equivalent to 200 ISO) that captures more detail in shadows with extremely low noise. Even when your subject looks dark against a light background you can reveal beautiful details in post.
There are a host of extras included in the new firmware to help you nail every shot, cut down editing time and customise your Nikon Z 9 experience:
- Record amazing 4x and 5x 1080p slow motion straight to your memory card.
- Select from 11 zoom control speeds (previously three) to give your zoom shots the exact feel you need.
- Improved 3D tracking for small and fast objects.
- Pre-Release Capture can now be activated for up to 300 seconds.
- Four new shutter sounds: DSLR camera, film camera, rangefinder camera and electronic beep.
- Set a delay to your shutter button so that your hands are off the camera when the shot is taken.
- Bracket shots with much finer aperture increments – 1.3, 1.5, 1.7, 2.3, 2.5 and 2.7.
- Assign custom functions to five additional buttons: Playback button, BKT button, Flash mode button, Lens Fn and Lens Fn2 buttons.
- Change the 3D tracking focus point from white to red for higher contrast in bright conditions.
- Improved metering accuracy for interval shooting.
- Numeric display for focus distance on the camera or compatible lenses.
- Faster, easier viewing of images in playback mode.
- Support for the NIKKOR DX 12-28mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ VR power zoom operation.
Discover the flagship Z 9
Unleash your creativity